Churches and Cemeteries

Cemeteries

Churches

In Good Old Dorchester, Orcutt provides a history of the early churches of the town. From 1630 until 1806, the town had only one church, first at Pleasant and Pond Streets and later at Meeting House Hill, The clash between conservative and liberal views at the Second Church resulted in the formation of the Third Church, a Unitarian group in 1813. The nineteenth century saw a great proliferation of churches that has continued to the present.

Cemeteries provide valuable genealogical information.  The earliest was the Dorchester Old North Burying Ground, begun in the 1630s.